【 Type of attraction open for tourism 】
- Length of trail: The entire trip of the 5km-long trail begins from the Houtong Elementary School in Ruifang and ends up at the No. 102 highway in Dalun in Sandiaoling develops a drop in elevation of about 350 meters.
- Time required for the trip: About 3-4 hours.
- Difficulty: Low to medium difficulty.
【 Management 】
- Environmental limit: Not sensitive to ecological environment.
- Intensity of development/Type of facility: Apt for general public for tours, though relevant facilities may be required and the trail shall remain as this is, without many artificial works. This is a type 1 trail in the national trial system specification.
The Sandiaoling Historic Trail is located in Ruifang City, Taipei County, where the origin of the name of Sandiaoling is not in any official document, though it is said when the Spanish and Portuguese sailors first arrived in Taiwan, they found the place look very much like St. Diego in distance and the local people then cal the place after St. Diego and then it turned out to be Sandiaoling.
The 2 highlighted monuments, the Golden Monument and the Prohibition Monument are along the Historic Trail . When LIU Mingdeng, the Taiwan General Garrison Commander in the 6th Year of Tungzhi of the Qing Dynasty (1867) was building mountain roads and visiting the aboriginal, he arrived in Ruifang and Dingshuangxi and checked out both Sandiaoling and Kemalan. For the rugged mountain roads, LIU then erected a monument with golden lettering that reads: Carrying 2 banners all the way to Tamlan, I am here in front of a vast view; with the large and small Jilung with snow, roaring thunders prevail; after traveling 10 kms in the cloud, one would only see dense grass and remains of past times; off to the waters, where whales and fish live with calm waves, I shall never forget that polishing the weapons and recruiting good hands is all I am here about. The Prohibition Monument erected in the 6th year of Xianfeng is full of illegible letters for the moss, though we assume that it warns all travelers and businessmen not to take wood, which is there providing shade to all travelers. It is quite a monument in terms of care. By the monument we found a flag stand, vivid evidence that Sandiaoling Historic Trail used to be a primary access. The Historic Trail is an enriched ecosystem, by the Historic Trail , itís the yellow and white??? and the violet and white that one would see from time to time, with the singing ??? and 5-colored birds.